For years now, SEO has been there in raising website’s performance organically i.e. with normal search listings. It is one of the most effective methods to optimize a website and divert vast traffic to it. Whilst, you believe in the ability of SEO, there is a new offering which various companies are providing to businesses which they call SMO or Social Media Optimization. You can also call it a subset of search engine optimization.
The main concept behind SMO is simple and effective:
- Implement some changes to improve your website so that is it more easily linked.
- Makes your site more visible on custom search engines in social media searches like Technorati, etc.
- Included frequently inappropriate articles, guest posts, vblogs, podcasts, etc.
It can be accomplished through various photo and video sharing, RSS or really simple syndication feeds, blogs, social news buttons and much more. Unlike PPC, you need pay to increase visitors on your site. The basic concept is to divert traffic towards your website without spending a penny on search engine advertising. Through SMO, you can create links towards your site which enhances your visibility on Twitter, Facebook, Digg, Squiddoo, MySpace, etc.
Now, let’s talk about several ways in which SMO can be achieved:
- Just like a political candidate is said to be popular in public by the number of votes he got in the election, similarly a website is determined popular on the web by the number of links it pulled off. More links you have on your website, more is the credibility of your website in the industry.
- As an online business owner, you have to understand a fact that, if your website has more links and if they are posted on various social sites, people will click those links and will get directed towards your site. This way, organically you will get more visitors. So, you should create links to your sites, articles and blogs that have links to your website. Thus, increasing your online presence.
- Another way is to let others use your content. YouTube is a live example as it allows users to download videos to their websites, resulting in increased likes and visits to YouTube. If you have videos on your site, you can also do the same. Apart from this, you can syndicate your content through RSS for the people to use your content for their own benefit. This way, traffic in large number will be directed to your website.
- Tagging and bookmarking is also a great way to make your site popular and bring heavy traffic towards it. It can be accomplished by adding content features like “add to your Facebook” and other bookmarking sites. You can also incorporate some relevant tags to your web pages for connecting famous bookmarking sites.
- Also, you can go after changing somethings on your site within your niche area to let your content travel all over the web. It can be accomplished by adding audio files, video clips and even PDFs to your website so that you can send them to your members or even sites of your industry. This way, you can direct traffic towards your website as those PDFs and audio-video files would have a link to your site.
These are the ways by which you can make your name on the web through social media optimization. Today, the world of internet has become a worldwide marketplace where various websites debut on daily basis due to which, building your empire is a tough nut to crack. But, SMO comes here to help you out in making your unique identity. It provided you with a ray of hope that you can step forward among competitors.